A PLA, also a called a pre-hire collective bargaining agreement, is negotiated with one or more labor organizations. It establishes and normalize the employment terms and conditions for a specific construction project. Thereby all contractors -Union and Non-union work under the same conditions such as start time, hiring of workers, addressing grievances, and drug testing. A PLA is negotiated between the Building Trades and Awarding Agencies/Project Owners or Prime Contractor. All contractors, including those in lower tier, are bound to the terms of the PLA by executing a “Letter of Assent” prior to commencing work on the project.
What are the Benefits of a PLA?
PLAs have been used on projects utilizing multiple procurement methods, including Design-Build projects, small and large scale public building projects, and on highway and transit projects. Their benefits include:
- “No-Strike/No-Lock Out”
- Provisions Dispute Resolution (Defined Grievance Process)
- Unifies drug testing policies
- Uniform Wage and Employment Standards
- Constant Dispatch of Skilled Labor
- Allows Equal Access to Union and Non-Union Contractors
How can we help you?
Pacific Resources Services has over 16 years of experience negotiating, implementing and administering PLAs, beginning as the first PLA administrator for the Los Angeles Community College District’s Proposition A bond program. Since it has negotiated and administered various PLAs in Southern California ranging from Rio Hondo Community College to the Water Replenishment District of Southern California.
We can assist you with the following:
- Understand the “pros” and “cons” of a PLA
- Provide information on projects with PLAs of similar scope to your project
- Negotiate the terms and conditions of the PLA
- Implement and manage the PLA